I love going all out for holidays, the food, the decorations, the parties, it’s always a ton of fun! But making your home festive for the holidays can definitely add up if you aren’t careful.
That’s why I try to stick to DIY options, especially for home decor. The best part about DIY is being able to repurpose things you already have around your house and bringing them new life. Last year, I painted a few old wine bottles to add a halloween touch to my apartment and they turned out great! They’ve held up great too, I just took them out of storage to add to my decor this year too!
Things you will need:
- Wine bottle(s)
- Warm water
- Dish soap
- Waterproof acrylic paints- These Martha Stewart ones work great!
- Paint brushes
- Optional- Dish brush
Now that you have all your materials, it’s easy!
- Remove the label from the wine bottle. This is easier said than done. After I did one, I realized it’s not even worth trying to peel it off dry. I suggest soaking the bottle in hot, soapy water for about an hour. By this time, most labels start to loosen up. Now, you just need to scrub it off. I used a dish brush to help me scrape off the labels. If you are having trouble getting yours off just soak it overnight in hot, soapy water, that will definitely loosen it up!
- Once you have a clean bottle, you need to let it dry completely!! This is very important! You do not want to be too eager and start painting before your bottles have thoroughly dried. If you want to speed the process along you can use some rubbing alcohol to dry out the glass.
- Now it’s time to paint, get creative with your characters! I love mixing it up with candy corn, jack-o-lantern and frankenstein. But there are tons of possibilities. You can go spooky or sweet! Try spelling out B-O-O or even add ombre to you designs! Just make sure to use waterproof paint!
- Voilà! You have some fun new halloween decor that costs next to nothing!